Medical Laboratory Science Program
2016 Program Graduates
The UPMC Chautauqua WCA Medical Laboratory Science Program is an accredited, 45-week, program offering intensive study and clinical experience in medical laboratory science as the final year of a Bachelor's degree. The classroom-based and hands-on clinical education is designed to develop a responsible and competent laboratory professional who will be prepared to pass an examination required for national certification as a Medical Laboratory Scientist.
It is the desire of the UPMC Chautauqua WCA's Medical Laboratory Science Program to provide students with quality education as they pursue their career goals. Our Mission Statement is taken seriously and the patients our students will serve are the cornerstone of our vision.
Thank you for visiting our web-site for information about our program. Feel free to contact us with any questions about our program or about the career of a Medical Laboratory Scientist.
The mission of the UPMC Chautauqua WCA's Medical Laboratory Science Program is to provide a challenging program for assisting students in acquiring the knowledge, understanding, skills, attitudes and values to gain the level of excellence required for the profession of Medical Technology and Clinical Laboratory Science.
Fulfillment of our mission statement is determined by the program’s level of achievement in the following goals.
- To graduate Medical Laboratory Scientists who meet and/or exceed career entry-level knowledge and skills.
- Students will demonstrate proficiency in the acquisition and application of the theory of disease and diagnostics with critical thinking skills.
- Students will demonstrate proficiency in the performance of manual and instrumentation clinical diagnostic procedures including application of troubleshooting skills.
- To graduate Medical Laboratory Scientists who demonstrate professional values and ethical conduct toward patients, peers, supervisors and other members of the health care team.
- Student will demonstrate knowledge and principles in laboratory management related to quality assurance, finances, equipment, personnel and compliance with accrediting agencies.
- Students will exhibit professionalism in attitude, conduct, responsibilities, safety and confidentiality.
- To graduate Medical Laboratory Scientists with effective communication skills.
- Students will demonstrate written and oral communication skills including designing learning objectives and effective presentations.
- Students will exhibit improved presentation and public speaking skills.
- To graduate Medical Laboratory Scientists with effective clinical laboratory research skills in pursuit of quality assurance and scholarship.
- Students will prove capstone research skills through active participation in tangible clinical laboratory study, culminating in written and oral presentation of results and clinical application of findings.
- To monitor overall program effectiveness to ensure our program meets the needs of our students in the preparation of competent entry-level Medical Laboratory Scientists.
- The program will monitor certification examination results.
- The program will monitor attrition and graduation rates.
- The program will monitor graduate placement rates
- The program will monitor employer satisfaction with the graduates.
- The program will monitor graduate satisfaction with overall program.
Statement of Beliefs
The UPMC Chautauqua WC's Medical Laboratory Science Program and the UPMC Chautauqua WCA's Laboratory are committed to student learning and the promotion of excellence in the profession.
- We believe we are responsible for creating an atmosphere of excellence, encouraging learning and inquiry, while promoting dedication to the profession of Medical Laboratory Science.
- We believe the cornerstone of our program goals are the future patients our students will serve.
- We believe our commitment to quality, passed on to our students, will extend to every level of community.