We Provide Digital Mammography Care At WCA!
At some point in a woman’s life, one out of eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer. Mammograms play a central role in the early detection of breast cancer. The Center For Imaging and Medical Arts At WCA, designated a Breast Imaging Center Of Excellence by the American College of Radiology’s Commission on Breast Imaging, is proud to serve our residents with the newest ally in the fight against breast cancer—the Hologic Selenia® digital mammography system.
Digital Mammography Patient Care Is Here
By implementing digital mammography technology, WCA provides low-dose X-ray mammograms with clearer, magnified pictures for better image interpretation. The technology allows for images to be reviewed more quickly—WCA offers same-day results for all mammograms. If abnormalities are discovered in an image, biopsies are taken, and the results are discussed with patients the next day.
Advantages to Digital Mammography
Digital mammography offers a number of practical advantages and patient conveniences:
- Because there's no waiting for film to be developed, digital images are immediately available. The technologist can evaluate the quality of the images as they are taken. That means patients spend less time in the examination room and rarely need to return for repeat images due to under or over exposures.
- The digital technology is fast—patients spend less time in the exam room.
- Brightness, darkness, or contrast can be adjusted and sections of an image can be magnified after the mammogram is complete making it easier to see subtle differences between tissues. The ability to increase contrast when imaging dense tissue is particularly important, as dense breast tissue and malignant cells both appear to be white on a film mammogram.
- Digital images are easily stored and retrieved.
- Transmission of images from one physician to another is quick and easy.
- Digital technology provides a platform for new technologies, such as CAD software, dedicated to advancing the early detection of breast cancer.
If you are 40 years of age or older, schedule your yearly mammogram at the Center For Imaging & Medical Arts At WCA today by calling (716) 664-8448. (A physician order is required.)
Navigating Patients Every Step of the Way
Whether you are scheduling your first mammogram or need follow-up testing after an abnormal screening, WCA Hospital’s Certified Breast Patient Navigator is here to help you every step of the way.
Our Certified Breast Navigator coordinates the educational and supportive needs of our patients who seek breast healthcare. Our Breast Navigator’s primary goal is to assist you through the best imaging process and ensure that you receive timely results. She follows you from your initial mammogram, ultrasound, and biopsy to surgical treatment and care, if needed. She also assists you with concerns such as insurance or transportation.
Your Personal Advocate
The Center For Imaging & Medical Arts At WCA is committed to ensuring every woman and man who visits the facility for a mammogram receive the care and attention they deserve.
To access the Center For Imaging Breast Navigation Program, call (716) 664-8301.